This great land of ours is large and the distances we travel vast. So it’s important to know where we are going, how to get there and everything along the way.
Hema has a strong focus on 4WD’s due to their off-road maps and guides. But their products are equally suited to on-road RV travellers and caravanners. Speaking of RVers, what else could their best travel buddy be but maps and navigators?
Through Hema’s vast product range of maps, atlases and navigators – you will surely find what suits your style!
Let’s start straight with the best travel buddy you can have – and that is Hema’s HX-1 Navigator.
This little friend has proven to be useful during both on-road and off-road trips in the Land Down Under. Via its accurate turn-by-turn navigation system, you will be able to see useful information on the 7” screen while on the road. Some of these include distance, speed limit, 3D landmarks and buildings, and many more. To see more about this must-have including pricing and the full list of features click here.
With Hema’s HX-1 navigator, you can:
- Browse over 45,000 points of Interest
- Choose where to camp from 6,000 free or low-cost campsites and caravan parks
- Be guided by the device’s visual and voice guidance features
- Record, store and share your tracks, waypoints and photos online through the Hema Cloud
- Be alerted for nearby speed cameras, school zones and red light cameras
- Download map updates on Wi-Fi at no extra cost
- Download other Hema Maps that have greater details
- Explorer map ranges from 1:18M to 1:150,000
- Digitised Hema touring maps
- 5+ hours battery life based on continuous usage, but depending on settings
- Chargeable via USB cable or 12V/24V 2A car charger
- 16GB internal memory
- 1GB RAM
- Up to 32GB expandable memory (via microSD)
In case you even want to go further than this because you are a frequent traveller, you may want to consider purchasing from Hema to the Garmin Overlander navigator which has 150,000 points of interest for an extra $300.
Apps & Digital Maps
If you’re not for navigation, then probably your style suits the reading of maps better. And yes, you can do this on your own device using Hema’s app. Not only will you read maps, but you can also do much more. Some of these include zooming in for details, 3D map viewing, offline viewing, change between different maps (e.g. street map, terrain map, etc.).
Hema has four apps that you can choose from depending on your needs. Here’s a brief comparison of those:
|FEATURES||4×4 EXPLORER||CAMPERX||4WD MAPS||HEMA EXPLORER|
|Best for:||On and off-road explorations;
Basic mapping especially on RV sites
|Those who seek detailed maps||On and off-road explorations|
|Hema base map/s||High-resolution multi-scale vector topo map||High-resolution multi-scale vector topo map||Printed State and Regional maps;
150k topo map;
Explorer Map at 1:150,000 to 1:1M
|Explorer Raster Topo Map|
|Base map tiers||Lite;
|Standard @ 1:150k max. scale;
Explorer Pro @ 1:9k max. scale
|Addable maps**||Hema Raster Maps||Other State and Regional maps (for iOS only);
Maps from external sources
1:250k topo map;
1:1M road map
|Offline capability||Lite: 1.7GB
|Map tilt and 3D map viewing capability||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Manual creation of routes||Capable|
* The Premium tier has a maximum scale of 1:1000 at street level
** Extra costs may apply
Hard Printed Maps, Atlases and Guides
Of course, not all people are techie, so Hema offers hard printed maps, atlases and guides too. While the hard printed maps can go up to a size of almost 6 square metres, the fully indexed atlases and guides give you information on:
- Detailed 4WD tracks
- Points of interest
- National parks
- Caravan parks
- Rest areas
- Road distances