Motorhome Club Rego – Everything you need to know

Club rego even for motorhomes and caravans are only for those ≥30 years old. However, this scheme tends to be abused because of its reduced registration fees. But is it really worth it as an RVer? Read on to see everything you need to know and some alternate options.

Alternative options to club regos
The best alternate concession option
Club rego conditions of use
Main qualifications for club rego
Club rego application procedure

  1. Join a club approved by your relevant state
  2. Check your vehicle’s eligibility
  3. Get and complete all the documents relevant to your application
  4. Personally submit all documents to a customer service centre
  5. Pay the necessary fees
  6. Receive your club rego approval kit upon successful application

Pros and cons
My conclusion on the matter


Yes, I know I know. Most likely your RV is less than 30 years old, so let me start with the alternative options first.


Alternative options to club rego

Believe it or not, your job or age might be your saving grace to a reduced vehicle registration fee. Summarised below are the concessions available for RVers in each state. I hope your conditions do fit in at least one of these.

Centrelink Pension Concession Card holders
Veterans’ Affairs Pension Concession Card holders
Diplomats and privileged personnel
Gas and electric vehicles
Including Plug-in hybrid vehicles and Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles
Seniors card holders * ~
Restricted areas
Vehicles used solely in a restricted area, and garaged in that same area
Seasonal registration
Vehicles used on a specific period of the year
Light vehicle permit
Light vehicles that exceed certain dimensions
Non-compliant vehicles
Vehicles modified for disabled drivers
Caravan/Camper trailers #
Government owned vehicles
Minister of religion concession
Semi-trailers or trailers with a tare mass greater than 2 tonnes**
Must be driven and garaged only on roads outside the South West Division


Yes, a concession is available for such vehicles/persons
* May be combined with the “gas and electric vehicles” concession in order to achieve a higher discount
** As per the latest VSB1, goose neck and fifth wheel caravans are considered as semi-trailers
~ For motorised caravans only
^ Not formally considered a concession, but as one with ‘unique’ requirements
# Discount is automatically applied upon registration

There are no suitable alternative options in NSW and NT.


The best alternate concession option

Out of all the options in the above table, I must say:

The seasonal registration scheme is the best alternative concession for RVers but is limited only to South Australians. Other good concession options are available for seniors, veterans and pensioners.

Remember though that RVs under seasonal registration may be used only for a set period of the year (e.g. summertime). That is different from the club rego where you get to decide when to drive your vehicle so long as you don’t exceed the limit. To apply for seasonal registration, contact a customer service centre.

Finally, if I may mind you – registration for imported RVs is an entirely separate matter. Hence, their concessions may also be different.


Moving on to the club rego itself, I’d like you to consider the conditions of use first rather than the qualifications. Why? Because it’s more important to know first what’s in it for you.


Club rego conditions of use

  1. You may use your RV mainly on events hosted by approved clubs only. Allowable outside journeys are also limited. For example, community events, weddings, maintenance, inspection and road testing.
  2. You can drive your vehicle for only a limited time or distance per year. Moreover, you have to monitor this by filling in your logbook before starting every journey.
      • Each day starts at 12:00am. So if, for example, you start your journey at 10:00pm and finish at 2:00am the next day. Thus, that journey shall be counted as two days.
  3. Towing caravans and carrying goods outside club events are rarely allowed. Note that the Australian Design Rules considers motorhomes as “goods carrying vehicles”.
  4. The vehicle should not be driven for fee, hire or reward.
  5. Maintain your club membership throughout your rego period.
  6. Do not simultaneously sign up to more than one club.
  7. Interstate driving is generally allowed, subject to the conditions of use of the origin and/or destination state.
  8. Any usage outside the above restrictions is subject to your club’s approval first.
Maximum usage per year 3000 km
(within ACT)
60d^ 90d* 90d 90d~ 90d
(classic & street rods)
Maximum distance for test runs (km) 40 20
(street rods)
15 30
Towing and/or carrying goods Ok
(historic vehicles)
Prohibited Ok
(heavy vehicles)
Prohibited Ok


* 30 days of which is for journeys outside club events
^ Outside club events (no limit stated on club-hosted events)
~ A 6-month registration is available where the max. usage is half that of the yearly limit


Main qualifications for club rego

If you’re agreeable with the conditions of use, then see below the club rego schemes available per state and determine if your RV is eligible. Visit the embedded links in order to see more details.

Historic/veteran/vintage/classic vehicles
Manufactured at least 25 years ago (for VIC & WA), or 30 years ago (for other states)
* ~
Left hand drive (LHD) vehicles
Basically, historic vehicles that are left hand driven
Street rod vehicles
– Vehicles with “historic” vehicle parts or are modified to resemble a historic vehicle
– Has a pre-1949 body and frame
Vehicles as old as historic vehicles but do not meet certain conditions of their club rego scheme


Yes, a club rego is available for such vehicles
There is no specific mention of club rego provisions available for such vehicles. However, I recommend that you confirm your case with your relevant customer service centre.
* With no major modifications except for LPG fuel or LHD conversions
^ Combined with the club rego scheme for street rods; Only currently licensed vehicles are eligible for this scheme
+ A body or frame manufactured from 1949 to 1965 may be allowed by the ASRF.
~ Unique and historic vehicles <25 years old may be allowed under exceptional circumstances


Okay, have you now determined if your RV is eligible based on the above table? If yes, then you can proceed below.


Club rego application procedure

Note: This blog does not include the procedures for the following:

  • Club rego application for agents/representatives and corporate applicants
  • Renewal of club rego
  • Transfer of club rego ownership
  • Conversion of club rego back to full rego
  • Any separate state procedures for the renewal of club regos


1.      Join a club approved by your relevant state

Check below the links to see the clubs you can join.


* No official list given by the state

In Queensland, you may be exempted from this step if you live in a remote area or unable to access a suitable club. Contact your nearest customer service centre, QGAP office, Magistrates court or local police station for more information.

Also, to avoid the hassle of acquiring a safety check inspection, sign with a club that is >2 years old if you’re registering a historic vehicle in QLD.


2.      Check your vehicle’s eligibility

In addition to the qualifications previously stated, each state requires that the vehicle must:

ACT Have been inspected if it fits either of the following:

  • Currently unregistered for >12 months or due to cancelled registration
  • Currently registered interstate
  • Vehicle is currently club registered and its ownership is being transferred
NSW Be compliant with either of the following:

  • For light vehicles – Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017
  • For heavy vehicles – Schedule 2 of the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW)
NT Have been inspected regardless if it’s a first time or a renewal registration. For modified vehicles, this may be restricted to:

  • Inspections done by MVR Transport inspectors only, and
  • Approvals from the Technical Advisory Committee only
QLD In the case of LHD heavy vehicles, have a LHD exemption permit from the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator
  • Have been proven to be compliant to all applicable standards as per Schedule 2 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Interim Regulations 2020
  • Not have a record of statutory write-off, Fines Victoria, hoon sanction or stolen identity
  • Have been proven to be safe for use (refer to this guide for safety check)
WA Have been inspected if it fits either of the following:

  • Currently unlicensed for >3 months
  • Imported
  • Licensed with a 404 concession and ownership is being transferred to an ineligible person
  • Has a 003 condition code and ownership is being transferred to a person ineligible for 404 concession


3.      Get and complete all documents relevant to your application

While it is generally better to fill in all forms at home, I advise that you do the signing in person (where possible). This is to prove that you are indeed the applicant of the club rego.

Needless to say, all your documents must be current and valid unless specified otherwise.


        1. Club rego application form – stamped and signed by the club registrar
        2. Proof of identity
        3. Proof of acquisition – if the vehicle isn’t in your name
        4. Certificate of inspection – passed and valid
        5. Either of the following:
        6. Statutory declaration for duty exemption



        1. Club rego application form
        2. Proof of identity
        3. Proof of registration entitlement
        4. Vehicle compliance documents

All declaration forms must be no more than 42 days old.



        1. Club rego application form
        2. Proof of identity (e.g. current MVR customer details, or evidence proving eligibility for MVR transactions)
        3. Roadworthy inspection (Green Slip) – passed and issued by either:
            • Any authorised inspector, of which the inspection was conducted at an approved testing station, or
            • A Government Vehicle Inspector
        4. Roadworthy inspection certificate for modified vehicles (see details in step 2)



        1. Club rego application form
        2. Evidence of identity
        3. Proof of eligibility documents
            • Historic vehicles
                • club membership signed by a club official
                • dating certificate from a dating officer or club official, in case the vehicle’s manufacturing date cannot be identified
            • Street rods and hot rods
                • current and valid ASRF membership
                • document from the Queensland State Director of the ASRF stating that your vehicle is a street/hot rod
                • for modified street/hot rods, compliance certification under LH9 and LH10 of the QLD Code of Practice


        1. Club rego application form
        2. MR334 form – approved by a club authorised person (personally get and sign this form in the club’s office)
        3. Evidence of identity
        4. Exemption documents (either as a historic, LHD or street rod vehicle) under the Road Traffic Act 1961 – issued by the Transport Department
        5. LHD exemption document – for LHD vehicles; issued by the Transport Department

Prepare both original and photocopies of the exemption documents



        1. Club rego application form
        2. Evidence of identity
        3. Club membership evidence – signed by an approved club official
        4. Vehicle documents (showing chassis/VIN and engine number) – signed by an approved club official
        5. Roadworthiness certificate – signed by an approved club official
        6. Proof of entitlement



        1. Club rego application form – signed by an approved office bearer and (for street rod applicants) an ASRF authorised representative
        2. Eligibility and standards declaration for club permit vehicles form – accomplished by the club official
        3. Evidence of identity
        4. Club membership evidence – signed by an approved club official
        5. Evidence that your vehicle is intended for the Australian market. For example
            • Photo of compliance/build plate fitted to the vehicle
            • Previous Australian registration number
        6. Compliance documents – where applicable below
Manufactured on 1 January 1949 onwards (except for street rod vehicles) Certificate of roadworthiness from a roadworthy tester
Street rod vehicles Australian Street Rod Federation (ASRF) inspection report
– Failure to submit this will still allow you to have a club permit but not street rod number plates
Modified outside the provisions of Australian vehicle standards Vehicles Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) Club Permit approval certificate
Manufactured after 31 December 1968, but not originally for the Australian market VASS Club Permit approval certificate
Here are guidelines for specific vehicle types:

  • Light motor vehicles – VSI8 or VSI33
  • Heavy motor vehicles or trailers – VSB6
  • Light trailers – VSI9
  • Motorcycles – VSI4



        1. Club rego application form
        2. Club membership evidence (CMC1 form) – get it from an approved club and have it signed by an authorised club official
        3. Vehicle documents – for currently licensed vehicles
        4. For currently unlicensed vehicles,
            • Inspection certificate or MR number of the vehicle – from an authorised inspection station
            • Proof of vehicle ownership
            • Evidence of identity (e.g. driver’s licence, passport, etc.)
        5. Form E116 – for classic vehicles/street rods only; to be accomplished by the club official


4.      Personally submit all documents to a customer service centre


There are a few instances where submission via email is allowed. Check your state’s website for more information.


5.      Pay the necessary fees


6.      Receive your club rego approval kit upon successful application

The items below are what you will basically be receiving. As applicable, attach or keep them in your vehicle.

          • Certificate of Registration
          • Certificate of Approved Operations (i.e. conditions of use)
          • Club Permit number plate/s
          • Logbook
          • Other labels or insurance receipts


Pros and Cons

You can save money because registration fees are cheaper compared to the standard registration pathway. An inspection test may be too expensive (especially for heavy vehicles) just for a short term vehicle registration.
You now have an opportunity to get your “old” vehicle out on the road. Most motorhomes, campervans and caravans do not fit the eligible age range.
Since the rego requires a recognised club membership first, applications are expected to be more regulated. This gives merit to truly eligible vehicles. Club rego RVs approved for club rego may be driven on a very limited scale. In addition to that, the spirit of RVing is generally not in line with the purposes of the club rego scheme.


My conclusion on the matter

Having combed through all the requirements, I’ve come to realize that club rego is not practical at all for RVers even if the RV is eligible. That is because usage is very limited and does not fit the goal of RVing. After all, the objective for club regos is to give way for vintage vehicle lovers to drive their prized possessions on Australian roads.

Nevertheless, we can look at it as one of the rooms for improvement for our Transport Department. That is, to provide a cheaper registration option for RVers as well who personally and rarely use their RV. Meanwhile, what we can do right now is to make use of whatever alternative option there is applicable.


For more information see the About Us page

Recent Posts